There is a lot of talk in direct sales circles about gifting to hostesses and customers. Do you give a gift? If so, what do you give? Do you give the same gift consistently to certain groups (hostesses, customers, referrals, etc.) or do your gifts vary depending on the situation?
Let’s break this down into an easy and manageable plan for your direct sales business.
Generally speaking, it is a great idea to recognize those who directly and positively impact your business. Keep in mind that you don’t have to break the bank to show your appreciation, too. Think back to a time when you received a gift for a special occasion…
What came to mind first – the item you received or the person who gave it to you?
Odds are your memory went first to the giver and then to the gift. That’s because there is joy in receiving – it makes your recipient feel special and reminds them that they are valued. She may not keep the gift, but she will likely always remember the person who gave it to her.
Now we know that giving is good… but what to give? Here are a few suggestions to get your juices flowing. Try to think out of the box a little – be unique, thoughtful, and purposeful in your giving.
These are the people that are graciously opening their home for you to grow your business.
- A small bouquet of flowers that can be used as a centerpiece for her party. These can usually be purchased at a grocery store on your way to the event.
- A bottle of wine to serve her guests.
- A few items that compliment your product line. If you sell jewelry, for example, perhaps a small jewelry tray or catch all, a jewelry cleaning cloth, or a small jewelry travel bag.
I like to choose a gift after speaking with the hostess and getting to know her a bit. This typically gives me insight into some of her likes and dislikes and allows me to choose a more personal gift.
These are the people that are buying from you on a regular basis.
- A note or card acknowledging a special event. Add your best customers and hostesses as friends on your most used social media platform to get a little insight into their personality. This usually also gives you first hand knowledge of birthdays, anniversaries, and other special days as they approach. Everyone loves a little happy mail in these fast paced days of email and text messages, and a stamp is still less than a dollar. It’s an easy way to let her know you’re thinking of her. Don’t mention your product or your party plan. Just work on building that relationship!
- A new product, or a coupon for a small discount on a product you know they’ll love.
These are the people who are so happy with you and your business that they have decided to send their friends and relatives to you as well. What an honor! Reward your referring customers and hostesses with a gift certificate to your business allowing them to shop more for themselves.
Package your gifts well and wrap them with pretty ribbons, tissue, and cellophane for a special added touch. Your recipient will remember you for the extra effort and your relationship with that client will grow stronger in the process!
Interested in more ideas on how to show your appreciation for your hostesses, customers and referrals? Contact me today for more information.